Vegan Spiced Lentil Soup
Have you fallen in love with lentils yet? They pack all of the versatility of rice with a better nutritional profile (and they taste pretty great too.) Add this super-satisfying, vegan-friendly recipe to your winter soup rotation for a savory bowl that comes in at just 280 calories a serving!
WHAT YOU NEED
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup brown or green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh collard greens or kale, tough ribs removed
- Juice of ½ to 1 medium lemon, to taste
- 1 tsp rosemary, for garnish
PRO TIP: Though carrots are traditionally peeled, the skin is totally edible and nutritious! Reduce your food waste and increase your nutrient intake by cooking with unpeeled carrots.
HOW IT’S MADE:
- Pour olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the chopped onion and carrot. Cook until the onion is translucent and fragrant (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the drained diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to absorb.
- Cook the lentils by adding broth and water to the pot with 1 tsp of salt, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree two cups of the soup with a blender or immersion blender and pour it back into the pot.
- Stir in chopped greens, cooking for 5 more minutes, until soft.
- Remove from the heat squeeze the juice from half a lemon over the soup and add more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot and garnish your bowl with rosemary.
Serving Size: 4
Total Fat 14g
Total Carbs 31g