What is 80/20?
The 80/20 mentality describes a dietary style or approach to healthy eating that highlights balance and being able to enjoy the foods you love without feeling guilty. It is an eating pattern that teaches healthy habits, flexibility, and moderation that can be maintained in the long-term to promote a healthy lifestyle.
The 80/20 approach can be broken down to 80% of calories from healthy foods while 20% come from fun foods. This approach embraces balance opposed to restrictive diets that forbid certain foods and or food groups. Very restrictive diets can lead to unhealthy attitudes and beliefs towards eating habits and body image. The emphasis on moderation offers a solution to the constant battle between being healthy but still enjoying the day to day. Finding methods to incorporate fun foods into a healthy lifestyle is the key to making you the healthiest version of yourself.
How can I implement 80/20 in my life?
Implementing the 80/20 lifestyle is as simple as incorporating more nutrient dense foods into the majority of your meals and snacks throughout the day.
These foods include:
- A variety of fruits and vegetables including fresh, canned, and frozen options.
- When choosing canned fruits and vegetables, look for options that are low sodium, no added sodium, no added sugar, or in 100% juice.
- Whole grains include rice, popcorn, oats, quinoa, and whole wheat
- Low-fat dairy products such as fat free milk, yogurt, and cheese
- Lean meats such as fatty fish, poultry without the skin, and red meat
- Try cuts that end with loin or round (ex: tenderloin, sirloin)
The 20% should be made up of foods you love such as a slice of cake, cookies, and even a glass of wine. Keeping portion control in mind when eating these foods is the key to maintaining 80/20.
The 80/20 lifestyle is a great way to refresh current dietary habits and learning to enjoy the foods you love. Let us help you in your journey by providing you with great tools to map out a month long 80/20 plan. Accountability tools, recipe options, and creative ways to maintain a healthy balance will all be provided to ensure you have all means necessary to revitalize your healthy lifestyle.