Chocolate Covered Cherries
Posted May 11, 2020 in The Recipe Box
Cherries are a sweet treat on their own, but dipping them into a little chocolate makes them extra special. These not only treat your taste buds, they also help treat your health! Check out a few of the health benefits, then whip up the recipe that follows. But we love cherries too much to stop here! Keep watching for more cherry recipes as we dive into cherry season.
- Fill up: 1 cup of cherries contains 90 calories, 3 grams of fiber and are high in water content. This helps keep you full longer and thus may help prevent overeating.
- Antioxidants: Beta Carotene + Vitamin C+ Quercetin = helps your immune system, aids in preventing cancer and heart disease while also help slow the signs of aging. : Anthocyanins (antioxidants) give cherries their red color. Those antioxidants may help reduce inflammation and cholesterol
- Sleep: Cherries contain melatonin (which helps regulate sleep cycles) and may be helpful for to get a better night of sleep and fight jet lag.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 lb. fresh cherries
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Optional: crushed pretzels, chopped walnuts, course sea salt, unsweetened shredded coconut
HOW IT’S MADE:
- Wash cherries and place on a cookie sheet lined with a clean towel. Dry thoroughly. This is very important. If the cherries are not completely dry, the chocolate will not stick.
- Line a large plate or cookie sheet with wax paper.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips. Start with 20 seconds on high; stir, continue for 10 seconds if needed.
- Dip cherries in chocolate, then in other toppings if desired. Place dipped cherries on wax paper lined plate.
- Let cherries sit for about 30 minutes to allow chocolate to set. Serve immediately.
Get everything you need to make our Mango Pico De Gallo Tacos online or in-store!
Download our quarterly guide for an exclusive taste of the latest health and wellness trends, brought to you by Market Street’s Registered Dietitians.