Hot Chocolate Review
Tis the season for warm beverages that make us feel all cozy inside! While hot chocolate can be on the carbohydrate heavy end with the added sugars there are a few ways we can balance this out without skimping on flavor:
- Ultrafiltered Milk: Fairlife skim milk would be an excellent choice here! Since this milk has been ultra-filtered there is more protein and less carbohydrate than your regular milk helping balance out those carbs to help keep you fuller longer
- Almond Milk: with a creamier texture compared to water this generally has 1-2g of carbohydrates and 2-3g of fat to help level off the blood sugar spike
- Protein additives: Vital Proteins Collagen, protein powders, and ready-to-drink Premier Protein shakes are all excellent protein additives to balance out the drink while still enjoying the beverage.
Outside of the traditional packages of hot chocolate there are some fun new delicious brands that are hitting the shelf. Based on flavor alone here are some of our recent finds in the aisles:
- Treehouse Originals: talk about chocolate! This is classified as a “drinking chocolate” and boy does it deliver! Velvety smooth on the palate. I’d recommend thinning it with more fluid of your choice (they recommend 6oz) if you don’t like something too rich
- Numi: Also another “drinking chocolate”. It’s very creamy and rich without being too sweet.
- Equal exchange: rich dark chocolate flavor without being excessively sweet when compared to some of the other brands.
- Land ‘O Lakes: if you’re looking for different flavor profiles look no further. They aren’t just known for their butter now! Their flavors are on-point and come through strong without overpowering the cozy vibe you’re creating.