National Avocado Day
We love avocados for a slew of reasons and we’ve got a bit of information to cover so let’s dive right in with a few quick tips:
How to pick the best avocado
- Look at the color is it more green (underripe) or brown (overripe)
- Test the feel with a gentle push on the top or bottom of the avocado
How to slowly ripen an avocado
- Normally we like to see avocados stored outside of the refrigerator, but if you want to slow down their process pop them in the fridge
- Tightly wrap the pulp of avocados with plastic wrap clinging to it tightly to prevent air getting to it and oxidizing it
- Make a plan for your avocados to be used within 2-3 days of purchasing to prevent food waste.
How to speed up the ripening process
- The easiest way is by placing it in sunlight. Warmer temperatures ripen fruits faster, so move those un-ripened avocados to your window sill or another sunny spot of your home.
- Place your avocado in a brown paper bag, along with a banana. The ethylene gas put off from the banana will speed up the process of ripening
Since it’s National Avocado Day and we’ve got a ton of recipes on the blog but here are some of our favorites: