Potato Sausage Soup
September is one of the best months of the year. The weather is beginning to cool and fall flavors are everywhere. One of our favorite parts about fall is enjoying a warm and filling soup for dinner, like this hearty Potato Sausage Soup. The great thing about soups is that you can start them in the morning, cook them all day in a slow cooker and all you have to do when you get home is enjoy it! Slow cookers are fantastic for all the crazy, hectic fall nights when cooking is the last thing you want or have time to do.
This recipe is so easy! Just cook the onions and sausage until browned, then throw all the other ingredients in the slow cooker with them and cook on low for 6-8 hours. This lets you get everything ready in the morning, toss it in and head on to work or the rest of your day. Plus, you’ll have more time to help with homework or just to enjoy a little more down time in your evening.
Hearty and good for you? Yes, really! The white beans bulk up the soup and provide filling fiber as well as some plant-based protein. Canned tomatoes (a pantry-staple in any kitchen) actually have great nutrition. The heating process during canning actually causes the lycopene content to increase, so don’t pass them up on your next shopping trip.
Potato Sausage Soup
• 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion diced
• 1 pound Italian sausage
• 2 potatoes, cubed
• 2 stalks celery diced
• 1 carrot diced
• 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
• 1 15 oz can white beans, with liquid
• 4.5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
• 1 tsp parsley
1. In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft.
2. Next, add the sausage and cook until browned. Drain.
3. Add the sausage and onion mixture and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Set on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-6 hours. The potatoes should be soft. Serve warm and garnish with parsley as desired.
Ready to Start Shopping?
Get everything you need to make our Potato Sausage Soup online or in-store!
Ready for a Second Helping of Health and Wellness?
Download our quarterly guide for an exclusive taste of the latest health and wellness trends, brought to you by Market Street’s in-house nutrition experts.