Spicy Mexican Chocolate Popcorn
There are so many delicious ways to spice up your snacks—here’s our take on popcorn that will warm you right up!
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 Tbsps coconut oil (or canola oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips – melted
- Fine sea salt
- Large, heavy bottom pot
- Baking tray
How It’s Made:
- In a large, heavy bottom pot, place oil and 3-4 popcorn kernels on stove on medium-high heat. Cover pot with a lid leaving a small opening to allow steam to escape.
- Once the popcorn kernels start to pop, add the remaining kernels, place the lid back on the pot remembering to leave a small opening.
- Gently shake the pot to allow steam to escape. Continue to shake the pot as kernels start to pop. Once popping slows, remove pot from heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix chili powder, cinnamon, and cayenne.
- With popcorn still in pot, sprinkle seasoning over popcorn. Place lid on pot and give it a good shake to spread seasoning evenly over kernels. If not evenly distributed, stir. Make sure all kernels have some seasoning.
- Spread popcorn evenly on baking tray in a row. Be careful not to make your layer of popcorn too deep, you may only be able to use half of the popcorn.
- Drizzle melted chocolate evenly over popcorn. Evenly layer remaining popcorn and drizzle with remaining chocolate. Sprinkle with finishing salt.
- Place popcorn in fridge until chocolate hardens.
- Break into pieces and enjoy!
Recipe Inspired By: allergygirleats.com
Serving Size: 8
Total Fat 10g
Total Carbs 22g
Ready to Start Shopping?
Get everything you need to make our DIY Birdie Box online or in-store!
Ready for a Second Helping of Health and Wellness?
Download our quarterly guide for an exclusive taste of the latest health and wellness trends, brought to you by Market Street’s in-house nutrition experts.